Monday, April 4, 2011

Highlander 2 (1991)

Movie: 3.5/5
Video: 2.5/5
Audio: 5/5
Extras: 5/5
Overall: 4/5

What Has Horrible Video Yet Still Manages to Score a 4/5 Overall?

The answer is Highlander 2!

I'm addressing the video quality because after I saw it on the shelf at work and the sale price of $7.99 was getting to me. I managed to score a $5 a gift card with some groceries I had purchased. I put that gift card to use by paying for Highlander 2 that way and paid $3 for it after that. I got home and popped it in while I cooked dinner and watched the opening menu and was amazed how great the scenes looked at the menu screen. The movie plays and several minutes in, I notice that the shots cut back and forth from high to low quality and it jumbles. Some of the shots even look like they're missing frames and somewhat stuttering a bit like a PAL speed up. I seriously cannot fathom how anyone at Lionsgate would approve of this Blu-ray. How could anyone say; "This is it, put it out there!"

The only reason why I don't give the video a lower score is because how nice and crisp a lot of the scenes look. It baffles me to why it can look great in one shot and then cut to the next shot and see a blurred image. I would think Lionsgate would take pride in the Highlander films they own the rights too since a remake is coming out. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a new remastered version comes out in the next few years when this remake comes out. Video scores a 2.5/5.

Now, let's back track to the movie; Connor Macleod is now an old man choosing to die of old age. After another Highlander played by Michael Ironside challenges Connor and ruins his plan of dying old. Connor's youth returns and now must destroy Ironside's character and destroy a machine he created called The Shield which protects the Earth from UV rays because the ozone was destroyed. The film is all over place, but it is still somewhat entertaining to see Christopher Lambert on the screen and kicking ass. Also, John C. McGinley of pre-Scrubs fame is incredible as the supporting antagonist who owns the company behind Connor's invention the Shield. Also, Ironside portrays a great villain like always. Despite the story being all over the place, the cast and the characters they play is what I like about the film. 3.5/5.

We have Lionsgate's usual 7.1 DTS-HD track present and it sounds great. The audio is a 5/5 to me. And the extras score a 5/5 with it's great 50 minute documentary on the film and other various bonus features. As I have stated previously, it's surprising that Lionsgate would approve of the video transfer. I think if they had remastered the video and left everything else as it, this could have been a really great reference disc with all the special effects that were used in this film. It's a shame, but even with everything averaged together, this comes to an overall 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment