Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Supercop (1992)

Movie: 5/5
Video: 3/5
Audio: 3/5
Extras: 1/5
Overall: 3/5

Supercop...

Supercop was one of my favorite Jackie Chan films growing up in the mid-90's. I remember seeing it for the first time at the now closed Kam Drive In Theater in Hawaii in 1996. And this was the second Jackie Chan film I had seen at the time, the first being Rumble in the Bronx. In Supercop, Jackie Chan's character goes undercover and breaks a conman out of prison and ends up getting caught up international drug trafficking and other various crimes. I give the film a 5/5 because it's one of the first Jackie Chan films I've seen.

The video is problematic, it is cropped from 2.39 to 1.78. That alone hurts the score, but I find the transfer very vibrant and detailed. There's a level of grain that's present and it's overall satisfying despite being cropped from scope to matted widescreen. The video gets a 3/5.

The only audio option is the English dub in DTS-HD MA 2.0. I give it a 3/5 but I find it very disappointing that the original Chinese audio is not present on the disc what-so-ever. That's a bummer to me. The only extra feature on the disc is an interview with Michelle Yeoh who is incorrectly listed as Michelle Khan. The extra gets a 1/5.

The overall is a 12/4 = 3/5. I would only recommend this release if you can get it for about $8. I am planning on picking up the Kam & Ronson releases of the Police Story trilogy to complete my collection. If you want the film in OAR and with the original Chinese audio with English subs, pick up the Hong Kong release of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment