Thursday, June 30, 2011

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)

Movie: 5/5
Video: 3.5/5
Audio: 3.5/5
Extras: 0/5
Overall: 3/5

A Great 90's Film Gets a Decent Release.

"From Dusk Till Dawn" has been one of my favorite films for a long time. I am finally happy to own the Blu-ray. I paid $8 + tax for it at Best Buy. Everyone knows what the film is about, so let's start breaking down the quality of this release by Echo Bridge.

Now, onto the video; it's great but not 5/5. The print they have used is in rough shape with a discoloration on the right hand of the screen. This discoloration is about 1/5 of the screen with it standing out more or less towards the end of the film. My guess is that this master was struck straight from the negative since the old Disney DVD release never looked like this. If Miramax's new owners cared to remaster this, I think this would have been a hands down 5/5, but it's not. The video gets a 3.5/5. Another complaint is that the skin tones look way too orangish. I don't know if this was how Robert Rodriguez intended it to look, but for viewing sake, it does kinda bother me, but not too much.

The audio contained on this release is English DTS-HD MA 5.1. Upon listening to the film with headphones plugged into my sound system, I find the audio to be a bit weak. Some spots, it's great like when Clooney is hitting the bell to get the hotel room, but when the chandelier falls on Selma Hayek's character, it doesn't sound that booming. I give the audio a 3.5/5. No extra content is present, 0/5.

I feel that people are being too harsh on this release given that it's an Echo Bridge title. Given the circumstances that Disney wasn't doing squat with this film before selling off Miramax makes me happy that someone stepped up to the plate and released it ASAP. Now, do I think Lionsgate would have done better if they had gotten the film? Probably. Overall, this gets a 3/5, it could have been better. It really could have been an amazing catalog release, but this is one of the better Blu-rays by Echo Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment