Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sharktopus (2010)

Movie: 4/5
Video: 3.5/5
Audio: 5/5
Extras: 2.5/5
Overall: 4/5

Topus!

Ok, Roger Corman co-produced this crazy hybrid animal flick for the Sci-Fi channel (I'm not spelling it the new way) as well as Dinoshark which comes out next month on Blu-ray. I liked the movie as cheesy as it. If this was made back in the day in the 70's, I think this could have been a real classic. The story is that Sharktopus is called S-11 which is a genetic experiment made by this corporation for the navy. After this navy commander wants to see S-11 in action, the control mechanism that keeps Sharktopus under control gets damaged and S-11 soon turns into a killing machine that the navy wants back into their hands. The group goes after S-11 and he heads off to Mexico to chow down on the babes.

The film is pretty entertaining for it's non-graphic deaths. There's virtually no vulgar language in the film and the gore is pretty much non-existence except for one or two scenes. It's not rated by the MPAA, but I'd say it's more of a heavy PG-13 / light R rated film. I'd give it a 4/5 for the film. For a television movie, it's pretty entertaining and the acting is somewhat decent.

The video presentation is somewhat decent. In some scenes it looks nice and crisp and in other times it looks really soft. The animation for our title character is nicely detailed and he really stands out in all the shots he is in. I'd give it a 3.5/5. I really liked the audio, I give it a 5/5.

Extras are lacking, severely. Only a trailer and commentary by Roger and Julie Corman. For that, I'm giving it a 2.5/5. I know there has to be outtakes and deleted scenes somewhere. Disappointing that there isn't any of that.

Overall it averages out to 3.75 but I am going to round up to a 4/5. Pick it up for about $15 if you can. I bought it for $22 (after taxes) and as much as I like it, I'd have to really debate if it's worth that much. This movie is strictly for those who love these schlocky/cheesy Sci-Fi Channel movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment